The only thing worse than having to do laundry, and there are definitely weeks I think we can all agree we’ve been tempted to just set the whole pile on fire and live in burlap sacks for the foreseeable, is having to do laundry in a basement laundry area that is full of detritus that naturally accumulates in the nether regions of the basement-land. I regularly had to trip over tools, bags, extra furniture and other unknown piles of crap to fluff and fold the sundries of the family… however.. NO MORE! We’ve pretty much run out of other interesting house projects to do that don’t require hideous sums of money, so it was finally the laundry room’s turn!
This is what the basically original laundry room looked like at the beginning of the reno. That door and missing wall beside said door belong to the utility room that used to be the laundry room. The issue with having the laundry room where it was, however, was that it was sharing space with the indoor workshop/Keith’s inner sanctum, and there was no room to fold anything, store anything, or keep stuff from getting covered in wood chips/drywall dust/etc when project around the house had things being created beside the washing machine. So we moved the washer and dryer outside, moved the original door way, and started framing up the new wall, which filled in where the door was to make room for a new, barn-style sliding door.
That chipboard table you can see there was custom made for about $60 at Lowes out of… you guessed it, chipboard. We didn’t want to go custom cabinetry as a) that would require more $ than we had and b) more time to measure and configure, never mind the likelihood we’d get something that fit out machines and space exactly. So why bother? Firmly encased, the machines make far less noise than they did when they had free reign to tumble themselves out of position, they stay in the same place now and we can put stuff on top of the machines without it falling off due to aftereffects of said tumbling action.
We used an existing door from the house that we kept after our living/dining room doorway enlargements as the new door attached by black barn door hardware we got from Home Depot (on sale for $100 normally $146) and painted it black, for a more now/less old wood look. This may make some wood feature purists cringe, we understand, but the door was scratched up from the previous reno and being moved around for the past few years in the outdoor Love Shack that houses all warm weather projects (and backyard furniture). And the dark shade it was didn’t look right in the light wood/white of the basement and its bathroom, so it was for the best. Free door = good!
For additional storage above the machine area, we bought two pine shelves from Lowes ($25), painted them rose quartz and installed metal tubing with flanges as brackets to rest them on. The only thing that had to be modified was the original length of the metal tubes as they stuck out way too far from the wall and would have eaten into precious counter space, so Keith used a hacksaw to saw them down. Which, if you have watched Monty Python and the Holy Grail, sounds exactly like the construction noises from when they make the Trojan Rabbit to infiltrate the French castle. Or at least, that’s what we pretended it was in order to not go crazy with the sound of metal cutting metal being similar to other scratchy sounds we don’t like.
All in , it was about 2.5 days work, save the time it took for paint to dry, and the area is SOOOOO much better. We are going to be putting a little table on wheels in that can slide over that laundry organizer and provide an additional folding space, and we are also thinking of changing the stair configuration so that it turns left 90 degrees before getting to the laundry area, so we can truly contain that area to itself and have more separation between that and the entertaining part of the basement. But those projects, my friends, are stories for other blog posts.
Hope everyone is enjoying their Family Day long weekends thoroughly!