Realizing that we are tempting fate by writing these words (it snowed inToronto on Friday am, but it’s apparently spring now and is going to be 20 today), it’s finally beginning to look a lot like nicer, warmer weather? We’ve already started getting things spruced up now that light has come back into our lives and we are no longer inside 100% of the time. Which means chores. Which can be… a chore. But what are the absolute must have things you can easily do that will get your abode back into shape and reinvigorate your cynical winter soul? Allow me.
BFD’s TOP 5 SPRING CLEAN MUST DO’S
- AIR, AIR, AIR: Cannot stress enough the importance of taking all those blankets and pillows and airing them out! Whether you take everything and create a bohemian den of sunshine inequity in your backyard or your balcony, there’s a lot of dust and smells that have been hanging around all winter inside that stick to your fabrics and textiles and need to be exorcised! We also suggest using a fabric refresher like this one by Canadian eco-friendly brand ATTITUDE to help level the playing field and get things fresh-i-fied. If you don’t have a specifically outdoor space, laying cushions on chairs in front of open windows is a good alternative. Wherever possible, take cushions out of their covers and air out the actual pillows themselves. It also goes without saying that you should open up as many windows in your house as you can to get a breeze going, disrupt stale air take advantage of the fact that you ACTUALLY can open your windows now and don’t need to be dictator about the thermostat.
- WASH ALL THE THINGS: Seriously. Anything that has a cover, take it off and wash it. And sometimes even things that don’t have removable covers but will fit in a washer/dryer anyway, like pillow inserts. We are lucky that we also have a couch with removable covers, but apparently the one we have (which we were going to feature) isn’t made with removable covers anymore! As a household with pets, kids or messy eaters, being able to wash the upholstery is SUPER helpful and necessary if you really want your furniture to stick around for more than a few seasons and not require dry cleaning that costs an arm and a leg.
And if this is too Ikea-y for you, check out Bemz.com where they sell custom covers for Ikea couches that are a delicious departure from the standard colours/designs on offer.
3. SORT OUT THAT MATTRESS: Now if you’re like us and your mattress is in a relatively good state, it is recommended (according to the internet, which is always right) by multiple blogs/sites that you flip your mattress at least 4 times a year. We also like to freshen it up by shaking some Arm & Hammer baking soda on the mattress, massaging it in with a dishtowel, leaving it sit for 45-60 minutes, and then vacuuming it all up. This deodorizes and cleans the mattress, and vacuuming will also take care of any dust mites hanging out in there too. Some people also add essential oils (like lemon or lavender) to their baking soda mix for a nice fresh scent: just make sure you add it in to the box and shake it up good or else you’ll get clumps which are a pain to work with. If this is all blah blah blah cause you’ve been doing this for years and your mattress is getting harder and harder to freshen up, well maybe consider getting a new one? You’re supposed to replace your primary mattress every 8-10 years, so if you’ve been sleeping on the same mattress you’ve had since you used to be able to party all night and barely get a hangover? Time to get a new one.
Having recently purchased an online mattress, we definitely think this is the way to go in terms of convenience and competitive pricing. Leesa is currently having a promo that saves you $130 CAD(enter code SPRING130 at check out) / $100 USD off the above price and they donate 1 mattress to a shelter for every 10 they sell and plant a tree for every single sale. AND they deliver (for free) right to your front door (shipping usually happens in 3-5 biz days)!
This is the mattress we have, and we ordered a King size which was delivered within 5 days of us ordering it. We have honestly never slept better, but I think that’s because we are also sleeping in the biggest mattress we have ever had. We chose this for its firmness rating, and the fact that it’s made here in Toronto and we are impatient. ‘
4. CLEAN YOUR SHOWER CURTAIN: Again, another relatively easy thing to do, but when was the last time you were bothered? Seriously? If you have a material liner, it’s easy enough to throw in the washing machine and boom, but if you’ve got a plastic one, like we do, I suggest laying it down somewhere you can spread it out as flat as possible and giving it a 5 minute scrub with some CLR. Easy peasy, and will make your next shower brighter and YOU a happier, more productive member of society.. .or something close.
But in case it’s time for a change, there’s always flamingos…
5. AND FINALLY, CLEAN OUT YOUR CRAP CORNER (or closet or whatever): This is mine. We all have it, and it piles up and takes over and before you know it… So whether it’s Craigslist, Bunz.com (we LOVE Bunz, but it is addictive, be forewarned) or a local Value Village, get it organized and get it out of there. We’ll try to do it too. Before the end of the week. Seriously.